Simeone planning for next season after previous Atletico Madrid doubts
Rumours had been rife that Diego Simeone's long spell at Atletico Madrid could come to an end, but he has hinted he will stay for 2026-27.
Diego Simeone revealed he is already thinking about how Atletico Madrid can improve next season, having previously cast doubt upon his long-term future with the club.
Atleti defeated Girona 1-0 in their penultimate game of the LaLiga season on Sunday, with Ademola Lookman's first-half goal proving decisive.
Simeone's men will bring the curtain down on their campaign away at Villarreal next weekend, needing a win to leapfrog the Yellow Submarine to finish third, after they were beaten 2-0 by Rayo Vallecano on Sunday.
Atleti failed to deliver major silverware in 2025-26, losing on penalties to Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey final and exiting the Champions League at the semi-final stage, with a 2-1 aggregate defeat to Arsenal.
Amid those disappointing near-misses, Simeone hinted that he could walk away from Atleti after 17 highly successful years as their head coach, noting that expectations around the club had changed and major titles were now a requirement.
But after Sunday's game, Simeone gave his clearest hint yet that he intends to remain in his role.
"I think about myself and how I am and how to approach a new season, with the hope that good players can join," Simeone told DAZN. "This is about players, not coaches."
Asked if he expected to be heavily backed ahead of 2026-27, Simeone said he was not involved in budget discussions and switched the focus to next week's finale versus Villarreal.
"The financial side is not handled by us. We just want to play a good match," Simeone added.
"Villarreal have a difficult game and then we will try to finish the season in the best possible way, giving everything we have, I guarantee that."












