Simeone says Atleti to build around absent Alvarez

  • Julian Alvarez will sit out the opening game of Atletico Madrid's LaLiga campaign, but Diego Simeone insists the Barcelona target will stay at the club and play a crucial role this season.

Atletico Madrid takes on Promoted Malaga in its season-opener tomorrow morning LIVE on beIN SPORTS | Sign up here and save up to $60 on our Yearly Sale Pass Now | AU | NZ

Alvarez's future has been a hot topic throughout a summer in which he helped Argentina reach the World Cup final, losing to Spain.

Real Madrid had a bid – reportedly in the region of €150m – for Alvarez rejected in June, before Barca publicly declared their interest in signing the former Manchester City man.

Senior figures at Atleti have repeatedly insisted Alvarez is going nowhere, with chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin saying the 26 year-old had been "poorly advised".

With Alvarez having a shortened pre-season due to the World Cup, Simeone has revealed he will not be ready to face Malaga, though he hopes to have him available when Atletico hosts Villarreal on Monday.

In the long term, Simeone wants to build his team around a player who contributed to 29 goals 2025-26.

"I still think along the same lines that I was talking about the other day, in Korea. I take care of the sporting aspect," Simeone said.

"We have been talking, as we always do, and I understand that in the sporting aspect, he still needs a little more to be able to arrive in the best way on Sunday. He needs more training.

"He's the best player we have, and we're going to try to build a team around him, thinking about his style."

It remains to be seen whether Barca will re-ignite is interest in Alvarez, having already added Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi to its frontline while completing a €76.5m deal to sign World Cup Golden Ball winner Rodri from Manchester City.

Simeone is adamant that nothing has changed regarding Atleti's stance.

"Miguel Angel is the face of the club. There is nothing more blunt than the words of the owner – he was more than clear," he said. 

"It is like when the judge issues a sentence! It is more than clear, what he expressed. 

"From a sporting point of view, we want to take care of the person, the player. We do not see him participating in this match. I hope that in these four days, he will get closer."

Atleti has already lost one big-name forward this summer, with all-time leading scorer Antoine Griezmann joining MLS club Orlando City, after scoring 212 goals across two spells with Los Colchoneros.

Simeone believes the Frenchman is irreplaceable, saying: "There won't be another Griezmann. It was something incredible. We had a genius for years. 

"We're going to miss him, but as has happened with many important players, we'll get along in the best way with the new boys who join the team."

Atleti lost its opening match of the LaLiga season in 2025-2026, 2-1 to Espanyol. However, that is the only time it haS started any of their 14 full campaigns under Simeone with a defeat.

Julián Alvarez
Julián Alvarez
Club Atlético de Madrid