US demands Congo isoloate before World Cup arrival
Members of Congo's national football team must isolate before entering the United States for the 2026 FIFA World Cup as a result of an Ebola outbreak in the central African country.
Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the FIFA World Cup, confirmed on Friday that the Congolese delegation must maintain a bubble where it currently is training in Belgium and isolate for 21 days or risk being denied entry to the United States.
Congo is in Group K for this the tournament. Its first game is against Portugal on 18 June (AEST) in Houston, followed by matches against Colombia on 24 June (AEST) in Guadalajara, Mexico, and against Uzbekistan on 28 June (AEST) in Atlanta.
"We've been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11," Giuliani said.
"We've made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer."
All of Congo's team members, along with French head coach Sebastien Desabre, are based outside of the central African country.
Most play professionally in Europe, including defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka (West Ham United) and forward Yoane Wissa (Newcastle United) in England's Premier League and captain and defender Chancel Mbemba (Lille) in France's Ligue 1.
Giuliani said the United States isn't taking any chances when it comes to health and safety issues surrounding the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
"We want to make sure that there is nothing that's going to come in or near our borders here on this," he said.
Earlier this month, Congo confirmed an outbreak of a rare form of Ebola called Bundibugyo. More than 130 people have died among the nearly 600 suspected cases.
Congo canceled its training camp in the capital city of Kinshasa amid the outbreak and relocated to Belgium, where the team has a friendly scheduled against Denmark in Liege on 4 June (AEST).
Congo also has a friendly scheduled against Chile in southern Spain on 10 June (AEST).






















