Simeone urges calm as Atletico searches for win
Diego Simeone is remaining calm in the face of Atletico Madrid's winless start to the season, as it prepares to visit Alaves for a LaLiga clas this weekend.
Atletico has not won either of its two LaLiga matches in 2025-2026, losing 2-1 to Espanyol on matchday one before Elche held it to a 1-1 draw in a home opener last week.
Atletico has never started a season without a win in three matches in LaLiga under Simeone, most recently doing so in 2009-2010 under Abel Resino, when it failed to win in their first five, drawing three and losing two.
But after a busy period of comings and goings in the transfer market, Simeone believes patience will be required.
"It's always difficult to give scores to the work being done with so many new people," Simeone said.
"The team has worked well in these matches, with areas for improvement, especially defensively. But anything less than picking up points is not positive, especially in our position.
"We have to focus on improvements, on continuing to build on what went well and, above all, on staying calm. In difficult times, we have to face them calmly in order to play the game the way we want to."
Atleti has already signed 10 players, including attackers Alex Baena, Thiago Almada and Giacomo Raspadori, while 12 have departed, including Samuel Lino and Angel Correa.
The transfer window closes on Monday, and Simeone is not ruling out any further activity.
"As always at the end of the transfer window, we are keeping an eye on everything until the last day," he said.
"I'm completely open at this stage to someone coming in or leaving, always with tension and talking daily with the board to finalise the squad as we need to."