- Home >
- Soccer >
- Premier League >
- Will Enzo Fernández Stay at Chelsea? Xabi Alonso Responds to Rumors Amid Manchester City Interest
Will Enzo Fernández Stay at Chelsea? Xabi Alonso Responds to Rumors Amid Manchester City Interest
Xabi Alonso addressed Enzo Fernández’s future at Chelsea amid Manchester City’s interest. The Argentine remains part of the Spanish coach’s plans, although the transfer window could still have one final twist.
In the press conference ahead of Chelsea’s debut against Fulham, Xabi Alonso was directly asked about Enzo Fernández’s future and responded firmly: “Enzo is a Chelsea player.”
While rumors of potential interest from Manchester City continue to grow, the Spanish manager avoided adding to the uncertainty and insisted that Fernández remains an important part of his plans.
“He’s a top, top player. He’s training really well, he’s very integrated. We’re happy with him and he’s getting ready for Monday,” Alonso told reporters.
According to information published by ESPN, Chelsea had set a valuation of nearly $164 million for the midfielder and expected him to remain at the club after a move to City failed to materialize.
The Rumors Grow as Enzo Prepares for His Debut
The situation surrounding Enzo Fernández goes beyond transfer speculation. The midfielder has also had to deal with a difficult reception from some Chelsea supporters during preseason.
In the friendly against Real Sociedad, the Argentine was met with some boos when his name was announced and again when he came onto the pitch. The atmosphere generated even more attention around his situation in London.
When Alonso was asked whether the player had directly expressed his desire to remain at Chelsea, the manager avoided going into detail about their internal conversations. Instead, he once again highlighted the Argentine’s professional attitude.
“He’s training really well, with a good attitude. That’s what we want. He’s trying his best to prepare for the start of the Premier League,” he said.
Manchester City Keeps the Story Unresolved
The interest from Manchester City is one of the main factors keeping this situation alive. The team managed by Enzo Maresca, who previously worked with Fernández at Chelsea, reportedly considered a move for the Argentine midfielder.
However, according to ESPN, City failed to reach an agreement within the deadline Chelsea had set for receiving a proposal.
The potential transfer is also intriguing because of Fernández’s profile. Since joining Chelsea from Benfica in 2023, the Argentine quickly established himself as one of the club’s leading midfield figures. Chelsea’s initial investment was approximately £145 million, making him one of the most significant signings in the Blues’ history.

João Pedro Receives Backing as Chelsea Looks Ahead
While the uncertainty surrounding Fernández continues to generate headlines, Chelsea also confirmed important news regarding João Pedro. The Brazilian forward signed a new contract with the club and was also handed the No. 9 shirt, previously worn by Liam Delap.
Xabi Alonso took the opportunity to praise the forward, highlighting not only his qualities as a footballer but also his development as a leader within the squad.
“He’s a great player and he has a great personality,” Alonso said, while also praising the Brazilian’s mindset heading into the new season.




















