Middle Tennessee won the Music City Challenge, sweeping opponents UNC Wilmington, Toledo and Evansville. JaCorey Williams scored 24 points per game in the three-game tournament and was named Challenge in Music City MVP. Junior Giddy Potts was named to the all-tournament team. FIU, Louisiana Tech and North Texas each picked up wins on their home courts. Tech’s Jacobi Boykins had a career night with 26 points in the victory.
Music City Challenge, Nashville, Tenn.
Middle Tennessee 66, Evansville 55
at North Texas 81, Hartford 78
at Louisiana Tech 74, UMES 53
at FIU 74, Binghamton 57
(15) Saint Mary’s 76, UAB 63 (at Las Vegas)
C-USA MEN’S BASKETBALL SHOOTING STARS
- Middle Tennessee won the Music City Challenge, sweeping opponents UNC Wilmington, Toledo and Evansville. Redshirt senior JaCorey Williams(Birmingham, Ala.) scored 24 points per game in the three-game tournament and was named Challenge in Music City MVP. Junior G Giddy Potts(Athens, Ala.) was named to the all-tournament team. Just as they did in the first two games of the tourney, the Blue Raiders (6-1) used tough defense to defeat Evansville, 66-55. MT held Evansville to just a 42.5 shooting percentage for the game (17-40), and over the three games in the tournament held opponents to just 38 percent shooting from the field. Williams scored 13 of his team-high 25 points in the second half and finished 11-for-18 from the field. It was his fourth 20-plus point game of the season, and he also recorded his first career double-double with a career-high 10 rebounds. Senior Reggie Upshaw Jr. (Chattanooga, Tenn.) added 16 points Sunday on 6-for-13 shooting, and Potts had eight points including a 2-for-4 effort from 3-point range.
- Five North Texas players scored in double-figures as the Mean Green picked up an 81-78 victory over Hartford. In his first career start, freshman A.J. Lawson (Bryan, Texas) led the Mean Green with 17 points. Senior G Deckie Johnson (Memphis, Twnn.) added 15 points and senior Derail Green (Houston, Texas) drained a three-pointer with 19 seconds left to secure the win.
- Louisiana Tech junior G Jacobi Boykins (St. Petersburg, Fla.) scored a career-best 26 points in a 74-53 win over visiting Maryland-Eastern Shore. Boykins drained six three-pointers on the night and was 8-of-11 overall from the field. Senior Erik McCree (Orlando, Fla.) tossed in 14 points with nine boards, while sophomore Derric Jean (Miami, Fla.) finished with 14 points and a career-best 11 assists.
- FIU’s Michael Kessens (Nyon, Switzerland) and Donte McGill (Newark, Del.) tossed in 18 points apiece as the Panthers defeated Binghamton, 75-57. Kessens was a perfect 7-of-7 from the field and grabbed 10 rebounds for his third double-double of the season and 16th of his career.
- UAB junior Chris Cokley (Savannah, Ga.) scored a season-high 20 points, but the Blazers dropped a 76-63 decision to No. 15 St. Mary’s team. The game was played in Las Vegas.