Plum bows out with Panthers win

Getty Images

Nigel Plum bowed out of the NRL on a winning note as Penrith Panthers beat New Zealand Warriors 24-10 to end a five-match losing streak.

Veteran back-rower Plum had planned to retire at the end of the season, but revealed in the wake of Penrith's triumph on Saturday that he had chosen to hang up his boots.

In an interview with the Panthers' official website, the 32-year-old cited a recent concussion as a key factor in his decision.

"I've been thinking about it for a while," he said. "I always wanted to finish the year, play the full season out and play the last round. I actually wanted to play the grand final, but that wasn't to be. 

"After that concussion a couple of weeks ago, it really scared me. My family mean a lot to me and the decision was made because of my family. I want to spend the rest of my life healthy with those guys."

Plum's 150th and final outing for the Panthers ended in success thanks to tries from Lewis Brown, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Tyrone Peachey and David Simmons.

The latter provided the only try of the second half, ensuring the Warriors - who crossed twice before the break through Sam Tomkins and Konrad Hurrell - suffered a fifth straight loss to further dent their hopes of a top-eight finish.

Sydney Roosters left it late to see off a determined Parramatta Eels 28-18.

The Roosters were 18-4 down at the interval and only took the lead for the first time in the 72nd minute, when prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves touched down for his side's fourth try.

That knocked the stuffing out of the Eels, who conceded another four-pointer to Jake Friend in the closing stages, enabling the Roosters to climb up to second on the ladder.

Tyrone Roberts scored two tries as Newcastle Knights claimed a first win under caretaker coach Danny Buderus, beating Wests Tigers 24-18.

Roberts' second score settled proceedings in the 79th minute - after the Knights had trailed for much of the game.

The Tigers, who led 10-0 after just nine minutes, lost Aaron Woods to a knee injury in the first half.