Getty Images

Pep Guardiola Unlikely to Seek January Reinforcements

Guardiola unlikely to seek January reinforcements

OMNISPORT 

Pep Guardiola says it is unlikely that Manchester City will make any signings in the rest of the January transfer window.

Gabriel Jesus, who agreed to join from Palmeiras in August, has completed his move to the Etihad Stadium this month but has so far been the only arrival.

City were heavily linked with a move for Holger Badstuber, who has since joined Schalke on loan from Bayern Munich, with Guardiola said to be concerned by a lack of defensive options while they wait for captain Vincent Kompany to return to fitness.

But the former Barcelona boss has now said that, barring further injury problems or the sudden availability of a major target, City will not be bringing in any reinforcements before the window closes.

"I'm happy with the squad we have," he told Sky Sports. "[That could change] if there's an opportunity or an injury, but hopefully it won't happen. I'm happy working here and the people I'm working with."

Guardiola takes his side to meet Everton on Sunday in what will be his second encounter with Ronald Koeman, his old team-mate at Barcelona.

Koeman has struggled to muster consistent results since taking over at Goodison Park but Guardiola is in now doubt over the former Netherlands international's insight into the game.

"When I started playing at Barcelona I said many times, and will repeat it a thousand times, how important his advice was for me, especially on the pitch," he said. "To see how he'd react playing football and his huge personality in the big games.

"He understood the game perfectly. When he was playing his position in the back four he would control and see everything. You could imagine he'd become a coach.

"We spoke many times when I was in Munich and now we're together [in England] we congratulate each other when we win.

"I am glad to be his friend."